Sunday, March 26, 2006

Here it is!

UPDATE: I found a picture of the original pattern online. You can click here and when you see the image you can make it larger and even save it (highly recommended).

Ta Da! The moment you've all be waiting for - the fish afghan is complete, and it's great. I went a bit nuts taking pictures, so I have selected my faves and here they are in no particular order:


Fish - up close

Both sides of the afghan, showing the stitching.

FYI: The pattern I used seems to have disappeared off the net, and I don't know if what kind of copyright I would be breaking if I posted it. HOWEVER, sakuranbon had kindly adapted the pattern, so the fish lay flat, and the pattern for that is HERE. I haven't tried this version since I had already started the fish in a different pattern and, quite frankly, I've had enough of fish to last a long, long time now.

The sewing went pretty quickly, the edging was easy to sew, I kept the fish flat on my knee while I sewed the fish together, being careful to only keep the stitches on the back side. I made a boo boo putting it together though, while I had made 100 fish and was going to sew 10 rows x 10 columns of fish, that somehow didn't happen. I ended up with 11 rows by 9 columns and only using 99 of the fish, I had to cast one away (pun intended). Despite that, I still ended up with an afghan 61" x 36" size, just right as far as I'm concerned. I learned a lot from the fish, particularly that chenille is certainly NOT for me. Glad the fish are done though, I can focus on some other projects that I've neglected in recent days/weeks.